Some fun facts and additional ideas for using California avocados in you and your families diet..
Did you know….
- That Avocados have been known in the past to be called an Alligator Pear.
- Avocados are great for babies and kids. The avocado’s creamy consistency while providing enormous health benefits makes it one of the first fresh foods a baby can enjoy.
- Avocados contain no cholesterol or salt and have virtually no saturated fat.
- They have natural packaging. Their thick skin protects them; it’s natural packaging! You can’t eat the skin, but it shields the green goodness inside, making avocados perfect for travel.
- Avocados are gluten free, dairy free, vegan, vegetarian and cholesterol-free.Avocados are naturally FULL of nutrition, so there’s no need for special labels. They’re full of flavor; think of all amazingly healthy meals that you can create with avocados!
- Avocado trees do not self-pollinate; they need another avocado tree close by to bear fruit. The avocado is an Aztec symbol of love and fertility, and they also grow in pairs on trees.
- Avocados are the only fruit that don’t ripen when they’re on the tree.
- Avocados on average contain 4-5 grams of protein per fruit. This make them the fruit with the highest protein content.